Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Kindergarten Weekly Schedule

When I attended a Montessori school in early elementary school, we made our own weekly/daily schedules. Thinking back, I realize how wonderful that was in fostering independence. One of my goals is teaching Blue Rock to manage his time well and learn how to complete his weekly schedule. One great benefit of him learning to do this is as he gets older, if he wants to finish all of his work in a few days, he can. When I went to a Christian school in my later years, I would often work ahead in math. I really liked math but it was time consuming. I knew in middle and high school that the teacher would often assign every other problem but we didn't know if it was going to be odd or even problems. Like a nerd, I would work ahead and do all of the problems and be done with it before it was assigned. Often I worked ahead during certain sports seasons when I knew I'd be busy with late night games. This created extra work but when you enjoy something, it doesn't seem like work. Also it freed me up to do things I wanted to do during certain busy seasons. 

This is our tentative schedule. It looks prettier on Excel. Once we start, I'll make adjustments as necessary. Some subjects we'll do every day. Some just a few times a week. Once we complete something, we'll put an "x" in the box. Once we get to the green area, we are done for the week! This gives us some flexibility as well. For example, if we know we have a field trip one day, we can do a little extra work on the other days and be done a day early. I have another spreadsheet with our daily breakdown to keep things spaced out. Our day will be lighter on the day my son goes to his extra classes and we'll only do Bible in the morning, language arts, and music in the afternoon. If he wants to do math we can do math those days too. I only put three days a week for math since he likes to work through several pages at a time. If we get to some things that need more time, we will slow down and do a little math each day. Otherwise, I'm planning on doing math 3 days a week since he is already pretty advanced for his age. I'd also like to keep Fridays lighter for field trips and hanging out with friends. Honestly, homeschool students are always learning. That's another wonderful thing about homeschooling.


If you want more details about what we're doing for kindergarten, click here.

Weekly Kindergarten Schedule





Curriculum
Lessons/Pages
Lessons per week
1
2
3
4
5
Bible

Weekly Memory Verse
Luke 6:31 NIV
1 per week





Books of the Bible
Old testament
daily





Devotions Book

1 per week





5 in a Row Character Study

1 per month





Language Arts

Explode the Code 1-2

1 page daily





Language & Thinking book

weekly





Early Readers

3 books per week





Sonlight LAK and Handwriting

4 pages per week





Word practice & early readers

3 times per week





Math

Singapore Math A & B
32 Units
1 unit per week





Life of Fred

1 chapter per week





History/Geography

History for Little Pilgrims - Fall
15 units
1 unit per week





Beginning Geography - Spring
93 activity pages
1 page per day





Science

Sonlight Science K

4 days per week





Art

Draw-Write-Now

1 page per week





What Shall I draw?

1 page per week





Music

listen to music daily






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...