Monday, July 28, 2014

Week 28: My Father's World K - Unit 24: Vegetables

We just finished our 28th week of preschool, which was Unit 24: Vegetables of My Father's World Kindergarten. We have two more units left and then we'll be ready to officially start our kindergarten year! I'll be doing a review of My Father's World Kindergarten once we are finished with all of the units.

Memory Verse: The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made. The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food at the proper time. You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing.  Psalm 145:13b, 15-16 NIV

Main Idea: God gives me all that I need.

This was a fun unit. Our family loves vegetables and it was fun to try new things and talk about how God makes things grow. We have a little garden and Blue Rock has enjoyed picking tomatoes all summer long. We also have lots of different herbs, squash, watermelon, and a few other vegetables growing as well as a peach tree.

This week My Father's World recommends teaching subtraction. We've been practicing subtraction with Blue Rock for a while since he loves numbers. I think one of the best ways to teach subtraction and addition is with food or other tangible objects. It makes it easy for your child to see what you're talking about.

Blue Rock went to gymnastics camp at The Little Gym twice last week and while he was at camp one day, Princess and I went to the grocery store and picked out a few vegetables we had never tried before. We got jicama and chayote squash. That afternoon I showed Blue Rock the new vegetables I bought along with the other ones. I cut some up and let him paint a picture using different vegetables as his paint brush. He LOVED this activity! He hasn't been able to paint for a while and he loves painting so this was an extra special treat. Gracie enjoyed watching him creative his master piece. For dinner I threw all the vegetables in a pan with some olive oil, fresh garlic, and a little salt and pepper. I also heated up some thin steak I bought to add with it and bought some fresh garlic bread. It was a tasty dinner.

We went to the children's museum twice this week with two different groups of friends. The second time we went we saw the IMAX film about Lemurs, which was Princess's first time to see an IMAX, movie, show, etc. She didn't pay attention that much to the screen and they are only 45 minutes and it's educational and the show moves slowly. 

We are hoping to plant some pumpkins soon to be ready in October.  Some stories we read about gardens include the story about the Seed from Richard Scarry's What do People do All Day? book, we read this story weekly, sometimes nightly. We read The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter a few weeks ago.

Here are some pictures from this past week.


Balloon vegetables: A cucumber, tomato, squash, and Lowly the worm.

Museum



Cooking potato chips. Slice really thin, cover with olive oil and salt/pepper, bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.

Painting with vegetables.

He painted with kale, a carrot, tomato, squash, pepper, chayote squash, asparagus, and jicama.

Baby with a kale paint brush!

This is how I prepared his vegetable paint brushes.

I'm ready to create something!





I think it looks really cool!

Dinner with our new vegetables and old favorites.

with the steak



IMAX picture

Dino dig with friends

Wall to make ping pong balls run

I finally bought him some Sands Alive! Cool stuff!

Another yummy dinner uses tomatoes from our garden as well as herbs.
Painting to classical music. He drew a boat, rain, and the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...