Tuesday, April 23, 2013

How to cook broccoli that has flowered

When we got home from vacation everything in my garden was still growing well except my broccoli.  My broccoli had sprouted flowers!  Not sure what to do, I asked my garden community for help.  It turns out that my broccoli probably didn't get enough water.  I was really bummed to not be able to eat our broccoli until someone mentioned that broccoli flowers were edible.  After doing a little research I discovered not only are the broccoli flowers edible but so are broccoli leaves and the stalk.  I decided to cook them and see how it turned out.  It ended up being delicious and tasted just like broccoli, what do you know!  No wasting "ruined" crops around my house!

How to cook broccoli flowers

Ingredients:

1 shallot
flowered broccoli, along with leaves, and stalks
other greens if you want, I added kale from my garden
2 Tbs oil, I used organic coconut oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat the oil and then add the broccoli flowers, stalk, leaves, and anything else you want.  Saute until cooked to desired doneness adding salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...