Friday, April 25, 2014

Week 21: My Father's World K - Unit 17: Kangaroo

We just finished our 21st week of Pre-K. We finished Unit 17: Kangaroo of My Father's World Kindergarten. This was a fun unit and Blue Rock enjoyed learning about Kangaroos. In addition to using this curriculum we started doing some Explode the Code Primer 3 and some work from Developing the Early Learner 2. It had been a while since we've done work in Developing the Early Learner but Blue Rock loves it. I wanted to start Explode the Code 1 but thought I'd do a review of it and start with Primer 3, which is easy but I'm someone who wants to lay a solid foundation when it comes to reading.

I think next year we're going to do Heart of Dakota and I bought most of the books. I went with most of their suggestions and will do a post of next year later on. Sadly, I think he's past the kindergarten handwriting book that I bought as well as the math and a few other ones. He's been copying sentences and does basic addition in his head. In fact, I sent a card to my in-laws and he wrote at the top of it "Life is too short to live in Dallas" that he saw a cup. I thought it was funny. I just don't want to move him to first grade next year since he's not even 5 yet. Although I'm fine moving him up in various subjects after we cover the basis. Okay, now back to this previous week.

Memory verse: I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8 NIV

Main theme: I am safe in God.

Just like a joey kangaroo is safe in his mother's pouch, we are safe in God's arms. I told Blue Rock how kangaroo babies (joey's) are kept close to their mothers just like newborns are mostly kept close to their mothers. I showed him a picture of us in Germany after he was born. The German midwife put him in my shirt like a kangaroo so we could practice skin-to-skin, also called kangaroo care. I carry his sister around most of the time as well. There is lots of research proving that babies speak more and learn more when they are kept close to a primary care giver, usually their mom or dad.


Blue Rock when he was 1 day old in the hospital in Germany
Kangaroo Care

This week we reviewed fractions, pretended to be a kangaroo, talked about Australia, and animals that hop. I also watched him hop very, very far. He actually can jump very far! He enjoyed playing outside and enjoying this great weather. We've met up with some friends. We colored Easter eggs, he colored stain glass, and we did some other fun activities. Overall we had a lot of fun!

I'm also starting to rotate Gracie through different activities while she's awake. For the first time I let her sit in her bumbo, she practices baby push-ups (tummy time), and hitting at and grabbing different things on her exercise mat. As she continues to grow I'll have different stations set-up and activities to do with her. She also gets lots of snuggles and loves watching her big brother.




Layering shapes to make a house, tree, person, cloud, and sun











 
Blue Rock made these shoes out of the Easter Bunny's tracks!
I was so impressed! Here is what one front and one back looks like.
Showing me where Australia is






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...