Thursday, April 3, 2014

My favorite Newborn Cloth Diapers

Princess wasn't even a week old when we decided we wanted to use cloth diapers on her. Even with very frequent diaper changes, her bottom was starting to get red. We bought 8 GroVia Newborn all-in-ones and I went through Blue Rock's stash of cloth diapers and we had a decent amount to start with. Sadly, the newborn diapers only lasted about 9 weeks and I didn't have that many adjustable diapers that fit smaller babies. So I just bought some more and am really loving them! I want to cloth diaper about 90% of the time. We were just cloth diapering at night and when we were away from the house. Now I have everything I need to cloth diaper just about 24/7.  We haven't tried at night yet because I want to make sure my nighttime diapers are fully prepped (meaning washed and dried enough times) for maximum absorbency. Cloth diapers are great and not to mention super cute! Although cuteness shouldn't be a factor, according to my husband. :)

Here are my favorites. For a newborn, I do recommend newborn all-in-ones (AIO). I really love the convenience of all-in-ones, even though they quickly outgrow them. I bought ours at Babies R Us. However, you could probably get a really good deal on used ones from eBay. I'm amazed how many people will use cloth diapers and resale them. This makes cloth diapering even cheaper!




My other favorite newborn/less than 3 month old diapers are GroVia regular size with a stay-dry liner. I had a few GroBaby diapers (which is now called GroVia) from when Blue Rock was a baby. These are hybrid diapers. You can reuse the shell and just change out the inner part, unless the shell is dirty. These I will most likely start using only when I leave the house as they take up less space in the diaper bag. The stay-dry liners are new. From Blue Rock I had organic cotton liners which work nice too.

Almost 2 months old in a GroVia diaper

I also still love BumGenius pockets and AIOs. My favorite are the all-in-ones for the pure convenience but the pockets are great too. I have a few BumGenius one size diapers, meaning I can adjust the size, from Blue Rock. All of my AIOs are for a bigger baby. Name brand cloth diapers are expensive. Bumgenius diapers cost anywhere from $18 each to $35 each. Of course if you use them daily, you'll still come out cheaper than disposables in the end, it's just a lot of money up front. Since I was trying to save money, I found some cute pocket diapers that are like BumGenius on etsy.com. The only downside is they do not include an insert. Since I have a good stash, including extra inserts from when I tried cloth diapering Blue Rock at night, I can stuff them with what I have. Otherwise you'll have to add inserts to your cost if you buy cloth diapers without inserts. If you can sew, you can make inserts for very cheap. I also like Velcro more than snaps. The diapers from etsy are considered a perfect fit, meaning they will only last for a certain amount of time. I have Fuzzibunz that are perfect fits and will fit her when she's closer to a year. The BumGenius is considered a one size. Meaning it will last from when a baby is 12 lbs to 30 lbs.

BumGenius 4.0

Pocket diapers from etsy.com
Pocket diaper from etsy

At night I'm going to try a wool cover over a one size cotton diaper. I bought organic cotton cloth-eez workhorse diapers from greenmountaindiapers.com as well as their organic cotton cloth-eez prefolds. I never used prefolds with Blue Rock and if you want to cloth diaper for cheap, that's the way to go! The prefolds are $2-$4 each. The ones with snaps are $5 to $11 depending on the size you get. For prefolds I'm going to use a Snappi rather than saftey pins. For the perfect fit, it has snaps, so all I'll need is a cover, which for daytime use, I can use the GroVia and at night, I'll use the wool cover. I'm hoping this will work. On the left are the prefolds under the wool cover. The long strips in the middle are felt inserts that will keep her bottom dry. On the right are the one size with snaps and the one with the purple snappi is a prefold that I folded. Honestly, prefolds are very easy to use. I wish I had bought these when she was a newborn. It's so easy and they are cheap.

Nighttime cloth diapers with wool cover
My first attempt at a prefold.


With diaper cover
Cotton cover with snaps
Diaper cover with cotton diaper underneath
Once I use my wool cover, I will post pictures with it and give an update on how it works. If you've ever thought about cloth diapering, I say go for it. Expect to spend anywhere from $100 to $500+. But considering in one month's time we spend over $100 on Pampers, in the end cloth diapering is really the least expensive way to go. It's also better for the environment and for their bottoms.  I'm also using cloth wipes, which I didn't before. Here's to happy cloth diapering your baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...