Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Leaf Activities for Preschoolers and Kindergarteners

We started our study of leaves last week and finished up today. I decided to post about some of the leaf activities we did these past two weeks.

10 Fun Leaf Activities

1. Leaf Shading. We collected a variety of leaves and my son shaded over them and made his first leaf book.  Then we dried the leaves for a project we did later in the week.  We put the leaves between paper towels and under a few heavy books for about 4 days.




2. Leaf Magnet. We made a leaf magnet. He cut a leaf out, I wrote "I will live and grow in Jesus," and we laminated it and added a magnet to the back.


3. Paint around the leaves. We collected more leaves. This time my son painted around the leaves.



4. Math leaf activities: counting & grouping. We took the dry leaves from the other day and he counted them, sorted them from smallest to biggest, and by color.




5. Leaf Book. Then he glued the dried leaves onto some paper and made another leaf book. He loves making books.  I didn't know this until this week.






6. Leaf People. He picked out some more leaves and painted leaf people.  He actually made a leaf family of our family.  Dad, son, me, and his future baby sister.



7. Leaf Sticker Craft. I bought a little tree/leaf project from Target for $2. He enjoyed decorating the tree with Fall colored leaves, apples, and acorns.


8. Toilet Paper Tree and Pom Poms. I took an empty toilet paper roll and cut out a trunk and some branches.  My son glued the tree together then added pom poms for the leaves.  This was a very cheap project.




9. Tree Lunch. To finish our study of leaves I made him a colorful lunch.  I cut his sandwich using a critter sandwich cutter.  Made a tree with veggie chips and for the fruit I cut up some peaches and grapes.  He LOVED it!  

He really liked one of the critters trying to climb the tree
10. Leaf and God. This leaf biblical application came from My Father's World Kindergarten. We talked about one of our plants that had all green leaves.  I explained that most of the leaves were very happy living there.  They had water, food, and sunlight.  However, one of the leaves was not happy and wanted to be on their own.  So that leaf left the rest of them.  We pulled the leaf off. This leaf thinks he'll be better off without the rest of the leaves on the plant. 
Then I said to pretend that we are leaves and the plant is God.  If you're God's child, you are like a leaf and are growing well on the plant, God gives you all you need.  However, some people don't want to obey God and they want to live without God.  They are like the leaf by itself.  Let's see what happens to this leaf that goes off on it's own. 
We watched the leaf and not too many days passed before the leaf withered and died.

My son picked a leaf
The leaf looked fine at first
Sadly, without the rest of the plant, the leaf withered and died

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...