Friday, May 9, 2014

Preschool Graduation

Tuesday Blue Rock's preschool had a mother's day luncheon for the mom's of the 4 year old classes. The kids sang a cute song and gave us a few gifts. Last night was their graduation. We got to see a cute puppet show by Uncle Lauren who does their chapel. The kids sang I think 5 songs in English and then a few songs in Spanish. They were given their certificate and then had some refreshments in the fellowship hall. My dad came and Blue Rock loved seeing him there.

Blue Rock has really enjoyed this spring semester at his preschool. We're still homeschooling but this was a great addition for him. I wish I would have known about this school earlier. He's made some sweet friends and has enjoyed playing with them and really likes his teacher. Blue Rock is a very, very social kid. He loves people and after Princess was born this was a great place for him to go twice a week. Last night his teacher was talking to me about homeschooling, since that's what we're planning on doing. She said he is incredibly smart, already reading (which we knew), and has a fantastic memory. She recommended a few homeschool curriculums and then said not to bother with kindergarten. She said he is ready for 1st grade and that the kindergarten curriculums would be too easy for him. It was nice hearing her perspective on things. We believe Blue Rock is very intelligent and quickly gets things but I don't want to push too hard nor do I want to hold him back. At his 4-year appointment with his pediatrician, she recommended if we didn't homeschool to send him to one of the private schools near us that have a lot of gifted children. The public schools have too many kids in a class and he would get bored. We can't afford private school on one income at this point so that's not an option right now. Thankfully there are some fantastic co-ops and he'll be attending a school once a week for science, art, and Spanish. I've considered museum school but his preschool teacher thought that would be too easy for him as well but he might like it for the social aspects. We'll just have to see.

His teacher said some of Blue Rock's favorite things at school were science experiments. He enjoyed those last year in Ms. Susan's class. He loved any letter/word game and playing with the kids. He loved the Buzz game Ms. Debbie created and playing outside on the playground. He also liked gymnastics, music, and chapel. I think we can easily find his favorite electives with other kids while teaching him at home.

We have several weeks left doing My Father's World Kindergarten curriculum at home. Then we'll probably go through his kindergarten math book I bought for fun over the summer so I can make sure he knows everything in it before moving on to 1st grade math. I was looking through it after I bought it and realized it was too easy. However, I don't want to miss any building steps in his education. We'll also continue reading daily. Then sometime in August or September we'll officially start his kindergarten year. I don't feel like we can move him up to 1st grade since he is not even 5 yet. But I'm fine with going at the pace that's good for him. He loves learning and is very creative.

Here are some pictures from his special night.

With his teacher

Uncle Lauren and his puppet, Jake

Watching the kids perform

Our cute graduate!

Award

My dad came

Blue Rock loves his sister

We love our boy!

At the school luncheon on Tuesday. The kids were singing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...