Monday, May 6, 2013

Asparagus Quiche

I love quiche! Quiche was one of my favorite french dishes when we lived overseas and visited France. Mainly because I knew it would be thoroughly cooked! You can substitute asparagus for any vegetable.  Next time I make this I'll probably use kale since I have a lot growing in my garden. Feel free to used cubed ham instead of sausage.  It's really up to you.  I got the base of this recipe from the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook.

Asparagus Quiche

1 pie crust
4 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half, light cream, or milk
1/2 cup cooked and chopped asparagus
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup cooked chopped sausage (I used Applegate Organic Chicken and Apple Chicken Sausage), ham, chicken, or crab meat
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese - cheddar, Monterey Jack, and/or Havarti cheese
1 Tbs all-purpose flour or almond meal

1. Prepare your pie crust if making fresh. If using a frozen pie shell use instructions on the package.  Line a 9-in pie plate with pie pastry.  Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 8 minutes.  Remove foil.  Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until pastry is set and dry.  Remove from oven.  Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.

2. Meanwhile, in medium bowl stir together eggs, half-and-half, asparagus, salt, pepper, and meat.  Then mix the cheese and flour into the mixture.

3. Pour egg mixture into hot, baked pastry shell.  Bake in the 325 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...