Friday, May 24, 2013

How to fill your Garden Tower with soil

Last night we finally added the soil and worms to our Garden Tower.  Blue Rock loved helping!  He told my husband several times how he loves working with him and was having lots of fun mixing the soil and separating the worms.  I think one of his favorite things was adding the worms.  I'm so glad the worms are out of my house and into our garden tower where they belong! :) 

We used a combination of three types of soils in our Garden Tower: 3 bags of organic potting soil, 1 bag of organic mushroom compost, and 1 bag of organic compost.

My husband poured the first bag of potting soil in the tower.  Then he and my son started mixing the mushroom compost and regular compost with the potting soil in a pot and then would pour it in.  After the tower was full of soil, I added a gallon size zip-lock bag of compost I started in my kitchen about a week ago.  It had potato peels, banana peels, cabbage, egg shells, and carrot peels.  I poured that down the middle compost tube.  Last we added the earth worms.  Blue Rock loved playing with the worms and finding them to put in the compost part of the tower.  Now I just need to look at what will grow during the hot Texas summer in our Garden Tower.  I'll probably start with some kind of leafy greens and beans.

Get your own Garden Tower here!

Empty tower on wheels

Inside the tower and compost tube

We let Blue Rock put the first scoop of soil in the tower

Kinds of soils we used

Mixing and filling the tower

The tower has soil and Blue Rock is mowing the lost soil

Blue Rock loves playing in soil
Bag of compost and earth worms

I'm adding the compost

The guys are adding the worms

Look at this worm!


Our Garden Tower is ready for seeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...