Monday, May 13, 2013

Why I Cancelled my Gym Membership

The past few months my gym membership has become an unnecessary expense.  When I joined in January I had every intention of going and working out there at least 2 times a week.  I started off pretty good but then about 2 months ago I stopped going.  I have come to realize I am not a gym person.

Growing up I was very athletic.  I loved playing sports.  I even enjoyed lifting weights.  However, I never really liked lifting weighs at the school gym.  I had a few at home and I would use those instead.

I don't think not having a gym membership means you're lazy.  If it works for your family and helps you get in shape that is fabulous!  For my family it's just not working.  We'd rather take walks and ride our bikes in our neighborhood.  I love jumping on my big trampoline with my son.  I'd rather be physically doing something with someone than watching the clock on a machine.  I will miss the climbing wall at our gym which had limited hours and long lines.  I will also miss the fabulous outdoor water park.  However, we do have a pool in our neighborhood and for the price we're paying for the gym membership we could visit all of our local water parks this summer and still come out spending less. Also our gym was always crowded and loud when I went. 

I also decided I would rather spend my time cooking healthy foods than visiting a stinky gym.  I know we should do both, but like I said, my family does take walks, play outside, ride bikes, and try and stay active on a regular basis.  I also lift my son on a regular basis while we play. That counts as weight lifting, right?  I also enjoy gardening and working in the yard.

Please don't get me wrong.  Physical activity is very important.  PE and athletics were always my two favorite subjects in school.  However, staying in shape doesn't always happen at a gym. Having an expensive gym membership will not help you live longer or keep you healthy.  Living an active lifestyle will help you stay healthy.  I think it's important for our kids to get the physical activity they need as well.  Blue Rock has been taking swimming lessons and love it.  Well, for $20 more a month, he can continue and I will save myself $51.

Ultimately, I just couldn't get into working out at my gym and paying $71 a month for membership.  If it was $20, I'd probably keep it and use it a little more.  Do you have a membership to a gym?  How do you stay in shape?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...