Thursday, October 10, 2013

Jr. Chef Class

I bought an Amazon local coupon for a Jr. Cooking Class.  I've used Groupon since moving back from Germany but this was my first time to try Amazon's coupons.  When I saw the cooking class I thought it would be right up Blue Rock's alley.  He LOVES helping me cook and this class was a HUGE hit! I want to sign him up to attend regularly but am not going to add any additional expenses until the government shutdown is over and my husband goes back to work. I had bought this coupon a few months ago and as I'm trying to find free or cheap things to do, I remembered I had it. 

The class took place in a cute and colorful kid's size kitchen.  The stove and ovens were standard size but the tables and stools were perfect for kids.  When we got there we even saw one of Blue Rock's new friend's. They sat by each other and were so cute!  The kids worked together and made a Jack and the Beanstalk Stew and a Chocolate Souffle.  There are big windows were the parents can watch the kids prepare their food.  Every child is asked to try a bite of everything they make.  They got to cut veggies with a super cool roller knife and crack eggs. Blue Rock cracked two eggs by himself and kept the yolks intact.  He was so proud of himself!  They had to separate the whites from the yolks for the souffle.  The class was about 1 hour and 15 minutes.  There were 5 kids, 4 boys, and 1 girl.  It was neat to attend a class with a lot of boys.  One of the moms said that most classes have more boys attending than girls.  I know my boy personally loves hands-on things, eating, and cooking so this was great. I look forward to him attending future classes. It was neat watching him experience everything without my help and I didn't have to clean up anything! :)  I also loved that this place enforced hand washing and seemed pretty sanitary.


Waiting to start

Cutting veggies

Learning

Tearing bacon for the soup

Cracking an egg

He was so excited to do this!

Running to wash his hands after getting egg on them

Cracking another egg

Using a hand mixer to mix make white peaks

Adding chocolate chips to the scale

Mixing the chocolate souffle

Pouring the mix into his own ramekin

Story time while everything finishes cooking
The story was of course Jack and the Beanstalk

Trying the food. Yum!
 
Picture with Mom!


Dad came and saw part of the class. He liked the stew the kids made.

Dessert was the biggest hit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...