Thursday, October 3, 2013

My Miracle

For those who don't know me, I've had a number of miscarriages and random health issues that I've discovered since my miscarriages. One of the health issues I discovered two years ago was that I have Hashimoto's Disease, a thyroid auto-immune disorder. Because I just don't always find time for appointments it took me a while since moving to TX to find a doctor. Six months ago I finally saw an endocrinologist. They did a sonogram of my thyroid and discovered I had a number of nodules that were quite large surrounding my thyroid. My doctor said when they are that size, over 1 cm, they usually like to remove them and do a biopsy to see if they are cancerous. He wanted me to come back in 6 months for a follow-up appt., which I went to on Monday.

I had blood work done last week and the sonogram today. My lab results were perfect. I had very normal thyroid levels. By the way, I don't take thyroid medication or anything, I just know I have Hashimotos Disease and have to keep an eye on it because it could eventually start failing and we have to monitor my thyroid levels during pregnancy as well. They did a follow-up sonogram of my thyroid The tech could not find any nodules, which last time they were so large she had the doctor come in and sonogram it to confirm the sizes. Today, she had the doctor come in because she couldn't find them. She said very rarely has she's seen them shrink, but never go away. The doctor came in and was looking around and said, "so you didn't see these nodules?" She said, "no." He said, "well, it's because there aren't any!" Neither of them had ever seen this happen. I asked him if something like this is common during pregnancy. He said, "no. Usually when women are pregnant, their thyroid flares up and a lot of other things are unbalanced. I've never seen nodules go away and your thyroid looks perfect. It doesn't even look like you have Hashimotos." He also told me my thyroid looked very normal, not inflamed and he was rather shocked. What I feared could be cancerous nodules has vanished in the midst of pregnancy, none the less! Praise God!

I go back in 5 weeks for a follow-up along with getting a little more blood work done. They want to run another test because some people with Hashimotos pass on Graves disease through the placenta. The nurse said it would be very unlikely since my levels are so good, but please say a prayer that goes well. There's not much they can do so except monitor this if I'm at risk for that.

By the way, this doesn't mean that I no longer have Hashimotos Disease. Hashimotos is an auto-immune disorder that has no cure. However, when I first found out I had it, my internal medicine doctor said some people have it and are never affected from it. Others have to have their thyroid removed quickly. I'm hoping to never have to be on thyroid medicine or have it removed. Right now, I'm just excited that it's a normal size and the nodules are gone.

Just wanted to share my little miracle. Never give up on God! God sometimes surprises us even when we don't expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...