Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Natural, Homemade Gummies for Cold, Flu, and Sleep

I'm stepping up in my homemaking skills as I'm on my quest to make and know what is in the foods I eat.  I also want to know what's in the cold medicines we take.  A friend posted this recipe from Real Food RN on Facebook and it looked like something I needed to try.  I halved the recipe and it made plenty, 34 gummies. I used all organic ingredients except for the gelatin, which I ended up getting at Target. Sprouts usually has gelatin but was sold out. You can also get kosher gelatin online. This was my first time to make something like this.  It took me about 10 minutes.  I got all of my ingredients at Sprouts except for the gelatin, which I got at Target.  I'm sure places like Central Market and Whole Foods have these ingredients as well.  You can also buy these ingredients online.

How do these ingredients work? Tart cherries and gelatin promote sleep, elderberry syrup boosts the body's immune system and can prevent both acute and chronic disease, and raw honey (try and buy local) is proven to be anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal.

Natural, Homemade Gummies for Cold, Flu, and Sleep

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup tart cherry juice
  • 2 Tbsp gelatin - the box came with 4 packets, I used 2
  • 2 Tbs Elderberry syrup (Sprouts brand is organic) - or make your own
  • 1 Tbs raw honey
Directions:
  • Heat 1/2 cup of juice until bubbling
  • In a glass jar combine gelatin and heated juice, stir briskly to dissolve gelatin. Mix really well as it is kind of lumpy.
  • In a medium bowl combine the risk of the ingredients and whisk until well combined. (Note: do not use honey in this recipe if you plan to share these gummies with anyone under the age of one year)
  • Pour into molds, I got my two colored ones in the $1 section at Target and the other is just an small ice cube tray I had on hand
  • Put molds into refrigerator until set, at least one hour
  • Store in glass jar in refridgerator.  They should last a few weeks.
  • Enjoy!




3 comments:

  1. How was it coming out of the molds. I have that exact same star one and it was awful! I make this daily with about 5 cups of liquid and put it in 9x11 inch pan and then just cut it in rectangles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a knife. Some of them came out "cleaner" than others. They were cute but it took some work to get them out of the molds. I think next time I'm going to just put it in a pan and cut them out like you do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...