Wednesday, November 6, 2013

How to Make Dinosaur Soap

We made 10 bars of soap
This week at our home academy, we're learning about dinosaurs.  I saw some soap recipes on Pinterest a while back and thought it would be fun to make some dinosaur soap when we got to this unit.  I had never made soap before and it is really easy.  You really only need a few ingredients.  You'll notice many of my ingredients are optional.

Easy Soap Recipe
for Dinosaurs and other Critters

Ingredients:

Soap Base - you can buy 2 lbs block of melt and pour soap at Hobby Lobby and Michael's for about $10.  Use a coupon to get it cheaper!  Use a clear soap base if you plan on coloring the soap and putting a critter inside.

Soap Molds - At Michael's these were $3.50 each for the plastic ones.

Plastic dinosaurs and/or other animals - I bought a bag of plastic dinosaurs from Target for $0.50 when they had all their back to school supplies half off in the dollar section. 

Soap Colors - These came in packs of three at Michael's for around $3.50.  This is optional.

Scents - I used what I had on hand and didn't scent everyone.  I used lavender essential oil and peppermint essential oil.  I also used organic vanilla that I cook with.  This is also optional.

Add-ins - This is optional.  I added some poppy seeds to a few bars.

Another option is to purchase a soap making kit for $20.  Use a 40% off coupon and it's only $12 plus tax.  A kit comes with soap base, one mold for four soap bars, some plastic animal critters, and three colors.  I purchased a kit and an additional soap mold so I could make 8 soaps at once.  I also mostly used the dinosaurs I had purchased previously, although my son wanted to put a turtle in the soap. This kit made 10 bars of dinosaur soap.

I spent $17.50, not including the scents or poppy seeds. This makes the bars of soap about $1.75 each, which is very reasonable. Next time it will cost a lot less since I now have soap molds and colors. Next time I'll purchase 2 lbs of soap base for around $6.50, using a coupon, so my soap will cost around $0.65 per bar.

Directions:  Cut the soap base in cubes. Put in a glass container such as a Pyrex measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds.  Stir and microwave for 10 second intervals until the soap is melted.  Add a few drops of color and scent if you want.  Stir and pour into the soap molds.  Add your plastic figures when you've filled the mold about half way.  Then cover with the rest of the soap mixture.  Let sit for about 30 minutes.  I used a knife to cut around the edges and pop out.  I let them cool on foil.  That's it! Making soap couldn't be easier!


Soap base, wooden stick for stirring, Pyrex measuring cup, colors, scents,
soap molds, and plastic dinosaur figures along with a few water animals

Cut the soap base and put in the glass container to microwave

I added some soap coloring and let Blue Rock mix it

Our first batch of soap cooling down

First batch of soap

All done! 10 bars of colorful soap.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...