Saturday, December 27, 2014

Maxi Skirt, my first sewing project for me!

I have always loved the idea of having and making custom clothing. I really don't like shopping for clothes because half of the time I don't see anything I really like. I am loving my new sewing machine! I am teaching myself how to sew thanks to the internet and Pintrest. After making Blue Rock some shorts, I made myself a maxi skirt! It seriously took about 30 minutes and was very easy. I bought some cute, stretchy, on the expensive side, fabric from JoAnn's. Since I spent $16 on the fabric after my coupon, I really didn't want to mess this up. I took a skirt that fits me around the waste. I laid it over the fabric. I cut a little extra around it on the sides. I then laid on top of the fabric to measure how long I am. I'm sure there are other ways to do this. Then I finished cutting the skirt out. I sewed along the one edge inside out. Then I put it on to check how long to make it. I hemmed the bottom. Then I put the skirt on and folded the waist in. I sewed two stitches to secure the waist. Since the fabric is stretchy, I didn't need elastic. I just made my own waist band using the skirt itself. This was a fast and fun project! I think I'll wear it to church on Sunday.

What do you think? I think I'm going to either make another skirt or try making some yoga pants. I bought some black stretchy fabric as well. I love the feel and flow of this skirt. Another skirt or pants, it will be a tough decision.

Lay the skirt you own on top of the folded fabric

Cut in the shape you want

Turn inside out and line up the edges and pin

I pinned the bottom and did the same with the top to hold the fabric in place

All done! It is the perfect length with my boots, which I'm not wearing.
First clothes- son's shorts and my skirt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...