Monday, March 11, 2013

Carrot Ginger Soup

Carrot Ginger Soup
One of my favorite kitchen tools is my Vitamix.  If you are trying to eat more fruits and vegetables I highly recommend one.  It is seriously the best blender there is.  You can make smoothies, ice cream, soups, dips, and more.  I'll share some of my favorite recipes here.  I have the Vitamix 6300.  You can read my review here

If you like carrots, you'll love this soup.  It's nice and creamy thanks to the almonds. It's also a healthy and quick soup you can make in your Vitamix.  If you don't have a Vitamix, please try it in your blender or food processor and let me know how it turns out.  Just heat it on the stove when you're done.  I'm sure it will still be great.  You can also heat everything on the stove and then transfer to a blender if you prefer to do it that way.  I took the original recipe and adjusted it for the Vitamix for a quick and easy meal.  I hope you enjoy it!

Health Benefits of Carrots and Ginger

Carrots are extremely healthy.  They help your vision, clear your skin, prevent cancer, prevent heart disease, and slows down the aging of cells.

Besides helping with morning sickness and motion sickness, ginger is known to help prevent a number of cancers, relieve headaches and migraines, and help treat and prevent colds and flus.  Ginger is also a natural blood thinner. 

Vitamix Carrot Ginger Soup

 

  • 1 1/2 lbs. carrots
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger or 1 tsp. ground ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-4 cups vegetable broth (if you like it thin use more, thick use less)
  • 3-4 Tbsp. slivered almonds
  • Half the juice of a lemon
  1. Put the vegetable broth in the Vitamix. Scrub and chop carrots, put in Vitamix. Add the onions, garlic, almonds, and ginger.
  2. If your Vitamix has a soup setting, set to soup and start.  If not, start on 1 and go up to 10 and blend for about 5 minutes or until hot.  If using a regular blender start on low and switch to high for about 5-7 minutes.
  3. Serve immediately or save and heat up later. 
With the soup I served sauteed asparagus, in which my 3-year old requested more of.  I also heated up some spinach and cheese ravioli that I tossed with some extra virgin olive oil and parmesan reggiano and a salad.  It was the perfect vegetarian meal!  If you don't have a Vitamix or don't want to try it in your blender, you can make the original recipe on your stove.  Click here for that recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...