Sunday, March 10, 2013

My First Garden

In 2005, my husband and I purchased our first house.  I was 23 and looking forward to having a yard and planting a garden.  We started off with seeds and grew a tomato plant, carrots, and lettuce.  My tomato plant got really tall.

It grew to almost 6ft and was taller than me!


Lettuce

Tomato plant when it was smaller

Carrots
The garden was going well until we brought home our sweet dog, Mali, home to live with us.  She completely destroyed anything and everything we planted in our yard.  For better or worse, she has a new family she went to live with when we went to Germany.  That first year all was not lost as we were able to harvest the lettuce and tiny carrots after Mali got a hold of them.  My giant tomato plant never produced any fruit.  I found out later that over-watering tomato plants can cause them to grow really tall and not produce fruit.

Now that it's spring I am once again planting a garden.  This time I only have to worry about my 3-year old getting his hands in it.  Otherwise we are good to go.  It's been 8 years and I decided to start with containers again as we could not decide where to dig up our yard.  We have a sprinkler system and don't want to break a line.  I'm hoping this year our garden will really take off.  Here is what we are currently growing.


Above: We are growing kale, broccoli, tomatoes, lots of strawberries.  Right: We have some berry bushes and a grape-vine.  We have 5 blueberry bushes in pot on the right, a black berry and raspberry bush in the middle, and a grapevine on the left.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...