Monday, August 3, 2015

Easy to Make Sinus and Allergy Shower Discs

I'm participating in two more swaps. The next one is a Sip, Swap, and Snack, Homemade Edition. Nobody knows what people are going to be swapping but it has to be homemade. I got this idea from the last swap I did, the Crunchy Body Swap. Someone made some citrus shower discs and I thought I should make some but would gear them toward sinuses and allergies since Fall and Winter will be here before we know it. I decided to make mini discs and ended up making 72. I wanted to have enough for 20 women to get 3 each and have some left over. Some will probably break as you're getting them out of the liners. I think I lost 4 of the 72. I'm not sure how many ladies will be participating in this upcoming swap as the last day to commit is this Friday. However, being as pregnant as I am, I had to get this done.

Here's how you make these awesome discs! I made two kinds. One geared toward adults and one geared toward kids age 2-10. You can basically add any combination of essential oils you want, as long as they are considered safe for who ever will be using the discs. In the main disc, I used Eucalyptus, lavender, and cedarwood, which are all good at helping with allergies and sinuses. In the kid safe version, I used a a KidSafe blend*.

Allergy Shower Discs 
a knock-off of Vick's Shower Tablets

2 cups baking soda
2/3 cups of water
pure Eucalyptus essential oil (not recommended for children under 10)
pure Lavendar essential oil
pure Cedarwood essential oil
foil mini muffin liners
mini muffin pan
food coloring, optional

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your mini muffin pan with foil cupcake liners. Then mix the baking soda and water, it should be a thick paste. Add food coloring if you want. Fill each muffin liner halfway with the baking soda mix, add 2-3 drops of each essential oil, then add more baking soda mix on top. Then bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool completely. Then carefully remove the discs from the liners. Add another 2-3 drops of essential oil to each disc. Let dry and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Store in a sealed container. I put these in snack size baggies, since I always have plenty of those, and will add a label to each one. I put three per bag.

*To make it kid friendly, avoid Eucalyptus essential oil. I used Plant Therapy's KidSafe, Sniffle Stopper. I also added a few drops of green food coloring to the mix so we could easily tell the difference.

Another good combination would be peppermint, lavender, and lemon. However, since I'm about to have another baby, I'm going to avoid peppermint essential oil since I'll be breastfeeding.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...