Monday, November 30, 2015

How to Make an Easy Elf Christmas Stocking

I made my first Christmas Stockings this year. I saw some online with elf-like toes and was very tempted to purchase some from a "professional" on Etsy. I'm a novice sewer and am teaching myself how to sew but thought rather than shelling out $100+ for Christmas stockings, I would attempt to make some myself. Mostly I just wing it when it comes to sewing and that's exactly what I did here! 

I took all three kids to Jo-Ann's, that was an adventure! Hopefully I won't need to do that again for a long time. I let the older kids pick out fabric for their stockings and I picked out another color for mine and my husbands. We all decided we would all like green stockings. 

Here's how I made some super cute and easy elf stockings. I laid the fabric out and cut out a shape of what I wanted. I just free cut it. You could always take a fabric pen and draw an outline first. Then I traced the first stocking four more times. I then sewed them inside out leaving the top open but still hemming it. I took some white felt that I ended up buying way too much of, and cutting out a cuff. Each stocking I measured it and made pointing ends. Then I sewed them to the stocking as well as a rope hook. That was it! It took me about 3 hours to make 5. This included lots of interruptions. Two neighbor kids came over to play while I was making these so I had a full house. If I had solid alone time I could probably have made these in 2.5 hours. The cuff was the hardest part to add on. I used felt for that. If you want to reinforce the stockings then I would suggest making an inner layer. I kept it simple and kept it a simple layer.  I also didn't iron or wash the fabric before hand. I may iron these next time I get my ironing board out.

To add additional cuteness, I bought letters for each stocking with our first initials. I really wanted monogrammed stockings but don't have a machine that can do that. So I thought about sewing the first letter of our names on the cuff but then considered getting wooden letters and having us paint them. That was until I saw these cute letters by the stockings at Jo-Ann's. I decided to just buy these and be done. I think the stockings turned out super cute! If I hadn't over bought fabric, I wasn't sure how much I would need, I probably made all of these for around $15. The letters were on sale for $5 each. So for around $40, I made 5 super cute stockings. You'll notice one of the lighter green stockings needs to be fixed a little on the bottom to give it more of a curved shape. I may have sewed that one with a child on my lap. I hope to fix that soon. 

Fabric Supplies:

1/4 yard of pretty fabric per stocking, I used cotton fabric
12in x 6in of felt per stocking for the cuff







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...