Monday, November 30, 2015

How to Sew Christmas Book Bags

I've been busy getting ready for Christmas. One of our traditions is reading a Christmas book every day of December leading up to Christmas. In the past, I wrapped 24 books and on Christmas morning we read the story of Jesus' birth from the Bible. A friend suggested that I make book bags and so this year I did! I decided to keep it pretty simple and honestly, getting the books ready after the bags were made saved so much time over wrapping them. Not only that but I can use these bags year after year and safe lots of time and money on wrapping paper.

I had bought some Christmas fabric last year after Christmas on sale. My grandmother gave me some Christmas fabric years ago and I was able to use some of that as well. I made 3 bags per yard of fabric. Then I used rope to tie the bags. You could also use ribbon and even sew the ribbon on the back of the bags to keep it together. I think they turned out super cute! 

It took me a few weeks to pull this off. I'd sew a bag or two each day. They didn't take very long to sew but we are a busy family and there is always lots of needs that need to be met! 

Because I'm lazy don't have much time, I didn't pre-measure or iron the fabric. I figured they would get wrinkly again once the kids messed with them so why bother. I cut along the natural fold lines of the fabric and went from there!

We added some fun activities in addition to the books this year. Click here to see what we added. I hope your family has fun as you prepare for Christmas!

These bags would also make pretty gift bags.

How to sew a Christmas book bag

What you need

1/3 yard of fabric per bag. 8 yards if you want to make 24 bags.
rope or ribbon to tie the bag together once the books are inside
sewing thread (I used white on all of the bags to keep it very simple!)

Directions:

Cut the fabric to the size bag you want.

Turn inside out and keep the bottom connected so you don't have to sew that.

Sew the sides of the bag and turn it right side out.

Hem the top of the bag leaving it open.

Add books and whatever else you want.

Tie bag with rope or ribbon.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...