Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Montessori Beginning Subtraction Activity

This beginning subtraction activity is a great way to introduce subtraction once your child knows their numbers, at least 0-10.  Being able to add is a plus but necessarily necessary for this activity. 

I bought the materials from the $1 store.  I bought 10 salt/pepper jars, they came 2 for $1.  I bought a bag of stones, and a pack of plastic bowls.  I created a sheet with all of the equations I want him to learn, 1-10.  I printed it on card stock and laminated it.  I also bought a $1 container to store this activity in.  I'm realizing it's best to have a storage plan for anything you're going to teach your child so it doesn't end up all over the house.  The total project cost me less than $8.  You could do this much cheaper, even free, by using cups to store the equations in and materials you already have on hand.

My supplies

First I cut out and pasted the negative numbers 1-10 on each spice jar. I let Blue Rock fill them with the number of stones needed. This was great counting practice and he had fun helping.

Counting and filling the jars with stones.
Then I cut all of the equations out and filled each jar with the matching equations. I also checked Blue Rock's work to make sure he had the correct number of stones in each container.  He scored a 100!


Here's how I filled each jar

I let him choose one jar because we only do one jar at a time
You lay out the equations on one side and the answers on the other.  For example, you are working on 2s.  You'll have him count the stones, two stones.  Put them in the left bowl.  Then read an equation.  2-1= he'll take one away from the left bowl and put it in the middle bowl.  Then what is left he puts in the right bowl after the equals sign.  He'll count how many stones are in the last bowl and he'll see there is 1.  So he'll find numeral 1.  Then he'll put it together, 2-1=1.  He'll go through all of these problems and eventually be able to do this himself and have me come check his work.

I realized later I didn't get a picture of him doing his work but only this goofy one once he was done

If your child is older, you could have them write the problems and answers down on a piece of paper. I hope your child enjoys this fun Montessori Beginning Subtraction Activity.  I got this idea from a YouTube channel I subscribe to, which has a lot of great ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...