Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Easy Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas

While we were iced in, I started craving Mexican food. Since it wasn't safe to leave our house, the roads to and from our neighborhood were literally a sheet of ice, I decided to make some homemade tortillas. I have wanted to make tortillas for a while but was just too lazy to try. They were so easy and delicious that it will be hard to ever go back to the packaged stuff from the store! I got the original recipe from here. However, to make it healthier, I modified it a bit. Here's what I did.

Whole Wheat Tortillas

  • 2 cups Organic, Unbleached Flour
  • 1 cup Organic, Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
  • ⅓ cups Canola Oil
  • 1 cup Hot Water
  • ½ teaspoon Ground Flax

  • Directions:

    Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder with a fork. Add the canola oil and mix with your fingers until all the oil is incorporated and the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Add 1 cup of hot water and mix until a ball is formed. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes. I left it for about an hour until I was ready to cook them. (You can also refrigerated it overnight).  This took literally 10 minutes to mix together.

    Divide the dough into 12 balls and roll out one at a time on a floured surface, or what ever size you want. I made a few smaller ones for my son. I used whole wheat flour and it had a nice taste once cooked. Brush off excess flour. Cook on a hot, ungreased griddle over medium-high heat. Turn the tortilla when brown blisters form on the first side. Stack the tortillas and serve warm.

    My whole family wanted to help. It took us about 15 minutes to roll and cook these, which was not long at all! They were worth it! They were so good to eat straight from the pan! Some of them I flattened with my hands, others we rolled flat with a rolling pin. I made some into cheese quesadillas. We cooked a big pot of beans and some rice. We had some avocados and tomatoes from our garden. It was the perfect meal! You can do this! Enjoy!


    Dinner!
    Doug to be divided and cooked

    Rolling it out
    Cooking in a pan
    Very easy to do
    Hubby took over rolling after a while, thanks, Love!

    Blue Rock wanted to help roll it!








    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...