Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Ice Days!

This past weekend we were going to go on a weekend retreat with some of our church friends to an awesome house in the country and celebrate something called Thanksmas. However, due to weather, Thanksmas has been postponed. Last Friday we woke up to a beautiful display of snowy ice.  In Texas, we are more likely to get ice that looks like snow than actual snow. This makes the ground very slippery. Just about our whole city shut-down and most people stayed home. In fact, Sunday, as our ice days continued, the city shut down the highways for a few hours to try and make them safer to drive on. Our mail didn't come for 3 days, our trash wasn't picked up, and church got cancelled due to weather.  It was BAD.

Having lived in Germany, I got used to being "stuck" indoors for extended periods of time. Not that it wasn't safe to get out, because Germans are very good about clearing the roads and sidewalks. I just preferred not to get out in the cold. Although at night, I remember driving and sliding through stop lights on the ice. So even when the streets were cleared during the day, I preferred not to drive at night in Germany if there was snow on the ground.

We all enjoyed sledding and being outside. We also enjoyed time as a family. Hubby and I were able to make great progress on the baby's room which I'm so excited about! I can't wait to finish decorating it. I'll post pictures in a separate entry. I have a church baby shower this weekend. So after that I'll see what else I need and finish her room.

We also made homemade tortillas. We had a family movie night and watched The Polar Express, ate popcorn and drank hot chocolate. Overall, we enjoyed the extra days "iced" in as a family.

Here are some pictures from our ice adventures!



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...