Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Family Bible Bites: Christ is Lord of My Thoughts "Swat That Fly Away!"

One of the fly swatters he made
I'm trying to incorporate more Bible study into mine and my children's daily lives. One of mine and my husband's biggest goals is that our children know about God and Jesus. Our prayer is that they accept Christ on their own and want to do God's will. This summer I'm going to try and do more crafty Bible activities with them. Princess most likely will mostly listen but we might include her in more in the crafts when we can.

This past week I bought some awesome homeschool bundles. The homeschool bundles consist of different category of e-books and audio books for a huge discount. One of the books I got is called Family Bible Bites by Jan May. This was part of the character bundle. The book consists of short devotional activities. I decided to print this e-book from Office Depot to make it easier for me to access. Overall I really like this book. 

Each Bible Bite has 4 basic parts: Play, Chat, Pray, and a Memory Verse. Yesterday Blue Rock and I did Christ is Lord of My Thoughts. We played a game called "Swat that fly away!" I added to it since the more involved my son gets in making a game the more successful it is. Rather than using our hands, I had him make a fly swatter and a flower. I also had him make some flies to make it even more interesting and challenging. He's a very active child and the more active we can make something the more fun he seems to have. We also made a crown and some jewels to help with our memory verse. 

Flower, fly swatter, and flies
Once we got all of our materials together, I made a list of stinky things and sweet things. If it was stinky I'd throw a fly toward him and he'd try and hit it with his fly swatter. If it was sweet, he'd try and hit it with the flower. He loved it! He especially loved all of the stinky things I came up with. 

Then we talked about how bad thoughts can be like pesky flies or smelly things that annoy us with negative feelings. Negative thoughts produce a negative life. When we have Jesus as the Lord of our thoughts, he fills our minds with good things and helps keep the bad things away. God wants us to read his Bible so we can also keep His Word at the front of our minds and pray to him when we have bad thoughts come to our minds. 

Our Bible verse was Philippians 4:8: "Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable, think about these things."

Memory verse on our crown
To helps us remember our Bible verse we wrote the words: true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable on some jewels and taped them to a crown. Then I'd have him read with me as we pointed to the words. We talked about what each meant. Overall we had a great Bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...