Friday, June 5, 2015

Folder Chore Chart with Allowance

Trying to figure out a good solution for getting your child to do chores can be tough. I bought Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace Junior a few years ago and although I liked it, I didn't think my son was really ready to save money. He knew what different coins were but I'm not sure he understood exactly what their value meant. Now that he's almost 6, he gets it. He's also getting to an age where I'd like him to save and buy his own things. He has also started asking to earn money. So now I'm confident he's ready to earn an allowance. 

When he was 4 we tried Accountability Kids. While their system is neat, it consisted of too many things. So for my chore chart, I decided to focus on what I wanted him to improve upon and that he struggles with. I also included something I struggle with, making my bed, which I'm now doing along with him. Things that are expected of him are not tied to getting paid. These things are: bring your dishes to the sink after eating, helping set the table, putting dirty clothes in the right dirty clothes bin, brushing your teeth, etc. 

These are the chores I chose for him.

- Make Bed
- Pick up toys (this includes things his sister got out, although we'll have her help)
- Pick up crafts (he's very creative and will make things with paper and other items and they will spread all over the house)
- Read a book (this is the only educational thing I've added. He needs to read to us anyway but I thought I'd add it because in life, the more you learn, the more you are likely to be able to earn)
- Vacuum kitchen floor (this is done after meals or snacks)

The chore chart I made was basically free. There is no reason to spend a lot of money on a chore system. I used a folder I got with information from a private school we looked at and used an envelope I had on hand. I typed up some chores on my computer, cut them out, and taped them inside the folder. Then I added $1 per day. He has the same chores Monday-Saturday. I made it where I can change the chores up from time to time but for now I want these chores to become a habit. I also didn't want to overwhelm him with chores and wanted him to succeed. At the end of the week we'll divide the money into three categories: give, save, and spend. He'll put $1 in give, $2 in save, and $3 in spend. I'm thinking after he saves some we'll go down to our bank and open a free kids checking account for him. If he wants to save more or give more he's welcome to. At first someone said that $24 is a lot for a 6 year old to earn each month. Well, really, he's only earning about $12 to spend. With today's prices $12 won't get you much. But he also gets money for losing teeth and can make more for helping out with bigger chores. Also birthdays and Christmas he gets money. At the end of the day, we go over his chores and if he completed everything, he gets a $1. There's an envelope on the other side of the folder for him to put the money at the end of the day. 

We are finishing up our first week of our new chore system and we are all loving it. In the morning he'll quickly pick up and do some chores and ask for a $1. I tell him at the end of the day because some of the chores he'll have to do a few times a day. Which brings me to another thing we started which we call The Good Behavior Jar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...