Friday, June 5, 2015

Good Behavior Jar

The longer I'm a parent the more I'm realizing I learn toward the attachment/peaceful parenting way of parenting. I want to have open and honest relationships with my children. I want them to know I love them and teach them to have respect for themselves and others. I don't want to have to resort to harsh words or spankings to get them to do what I want. I want them to learn and make the right decisions on their own. Obviously we give consequences when needed but overall we want to raise our kids in a very positive environment. 

Thanks to Pinterest I came up with the Good Behavior Jar. Although the post I saw the person's child was saving up for something. We have an allowance system in place but there are a few behavior issues with Blue Rock that we're having to really work with. Some of them are: listening, following directions right away, not interrupting, having a good attitude, and staying seated while eating. He's a very caring and thoughtful boy. But he's also very energetic. It's hard for him to sit still. He truly has to work at it. Many kids sitting still comes easily. Not our boy! Also if he's really focused on something he might not hear us. So we're working on listening to mom and dad. 

Okay, so here's our Good Behavior Jar and how it works. I had him think of three things he wants to do. When he displays good behavior he gets a pom pom. Also he gets a pom pom at the end of the day if he completes all of his chores. I wanted some goals to come easily so he sees success. He's someone who takes compliments really well and when he's doing well, tends to continue doing really well. He came up with these three things: See an IMAX, Have a Friend Over, and Go to Chuck E Cheese or Peter Piper's Pizza. He'll probably earn the IMAX this weekend, possibly have a friend over next week, and in another week we'll take him out for pizza and games.Once we fill the jar up, we'll think of three more things and start over again. Eventually we might just have one or two things listed. But for now we want to make sure he knows how much we appreciate his good behavior. When Princess is older we'll have one for her too. 

Blue Rock is loving the Good Behavior Jar! He's told me I'm the best mom recently and he likes all of these new things we're doing. I feel like I have not always noticed all that he truly does since Princess was born since she takes up so much of my time. I really want to make a conscience effort to notice the positives he does and let him know I'm noticing them. He responds very well to this kind of thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...